November was an exciting month that provided unique opportunities to share the Blue Watch mission.
On November 3, Shades Mountain Baptist Church hosted a luncheon for local mission partners. This provided a great opportunity for Blue Watch to network with other local ministries. It also allowed us to share all of the exciting things that have happened and what is planned for the year ahead.
On November 21, Burke Swearingen had the privilege to meet several officers and their wives during a weekend retreat held at Children’s Harbor on beautiful Lake Martin. This retreat, organized by Cater2Cops, allowed these law enforcement families to get away, relax and re-energized their marriages.
Blue Watch shared their mission and presented each family with a copy of “Bulletproof Marriage”, “On Spiritual Combat” and “Courageous Living Bible Study.” A special thanks goes to Randy Stroup, Cater2Cops founder, for allowing us to be their guest.
Winning A Gunfight
In November copies of “Winning A Gunfight” were sent to the Tuscaloosa Police Department.
On November 17, the police department received a call of an unruly person at a local bar. The suspect drove away from the bar and would not stop for officers as he drove to an area apartment complex and went inside. Attempts to make contact with him were unsuccessful. The suspect’s roommates left the apartment and told officers he was armed with an AR-15 and a pistol. During the standoff the suspect opened fire on the officers and aimed a loaded firearm at them. At that point officers opened fire striking the suspect. No officers were injured, but the suspect was transported to a local hospital.
If you or someone you know has been involved in a gun battle and would like a copy of the book, let us know. We will send you a copy at no charge. Simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As the year draws to a close consider making Blue Watch part of your year-end giving.
In 2022, Blue Watch will be expanding its book give-away program. To meet the demand will require greater financial resources. We will share more details about this new initiative in the January Newsletter.
If you feel led to support, you can donate by visiting our website and clicking the “Donate” button or by making a check payable to Blue Watch and mailing to 2620 Swiss Lane, Birmingham, AL 35226.
The Challenges They Face!
The law enforcement community faces unique challenges, and it is vital we give them resources that supports and encourages them. Here are just a few of the challenges the law enforcement community faces:
- Divorce rate is higher than the national average. Some places it is as high as 75%.
- Suicide 2.5-3x that of officers murdered in the line of duty.
- Domestic violence 2x the national average.
- As of December 1, 314 officers have been shot in the line of duty resulting in 58 deaths. This puts us on pace to have a record number of police shootings in one year.
At Blue Watch we believe it is important officers experience “a clear mind and a whole heart.” When they do, the officer is more likely to make the right decision in that critical moment. We believe that a right relationship with Christ is a key component to having a clear mind and a whole heart.
Help us show officers and their families how that is possible because we want officers to experience the relevance of God in their lives.
There are many ways to support the Blue Watch mission:
- Pray – we need prayer warriors who will pray for us on an ongoing basis and at special events.
- Volunteer – we are in need of people who will help manage our website, social media and other aspects of the ministry. If the mission of Blue Watch is of interest to you and you have a skillset to offer, consider Blue Watch.
- Donate – it takes money to make all of this happen. The Lord greatly blessed us in 2020, but to continue our progress will require increased giving. You can give online or by check.
If any of these are of interest to you, please email us at email@example.com.
Blue Watch is a 501c(3) non-profit. All donations are tax deductible.
The mission of Blue Watch is to help officers and their families experience the relevance and benefits of God in their lives.