An Adventure to Remember: Just for First Responders & Their Families
Blue Watch is proud to sponsor an opportunity for First Responders to enjoy a little R&R with their families in the great outdoors at the Living River retreat. Living River is waterfront property on the Cahaba River just south of Montevallo, featuring modern bunkhouses, a first class dining hall, hiking trails, canoeing on the river and a lake suitable for swimming and fishing. More at www.livingriver.org.
Contact: Steve Dedmon at 205-482-4424 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dates: Wednesday – Sunday October 20-24, 2021
Cost: (Discounted rates subsidized by Blue Watch)
- Day trips: $15 per person
- Overnights: $25 per person
- Prices may differ depending on the needs and/or preferences of your family, see below
You can come in for a day trip, or stay one or more nights– it’s up to you– and have as much adventure OR relaxation as you want. There’s something here for everyone to enjoy:
- Canoe Trip: takes 2-3 hours on the scenic Cahaba River– very flat water, some dragging required in shallow areas, and lots of opportunities for spotting wildlife!
- Hiking Trails run throughout the property (runners bring your trail shoes)
- Bikers: there’s plenty of country road to explore for kids and serious cyclists alike
- Swimming and fishing in the quarry lake – great for a picnic outing
- Bonfire for smores and outdoor or indoor movie at night
- Large field for kickball and football, basketball court and gaga ball area
- Potential for ‘family Olympics’ competitions in the evenings – wrap Dad in toilet paper, throw cheese puffs at Dad’s head (which is covered in shaving cream), the timeless Skittle spoon-carry relay, etc.
- We will have football games on all day on Saturday, especially the Alabama vs Tennessee game (assuming we can get a TV signal or streaming service)
- We will have all the food taken care of and may ask for meal prep help
What to bring
Clothes to play in, swimsuit, your toiletries/towels, pillow/sheet/sleeping bag, bug spray, sunscreen, camp chair, your favorite snacks, old tennis shoes work well for the canoe trip.
How to sign up
Contact Steve Dedmon to make lodging arrangements and then make payment on the eventbrite website which is provided below.
View event details and register through eventbrite.